Friday, May 26, 2006

Analysis Paralysis

Inasmuch as I just defended 'process' in my earlier post, at the urging of a reader email (use the 'comment' button, folks, email is so 2002!) I thought I ought to also clarify that the bane of my existence is 'analysis paralysis'.

Analysis paralysis differs from effective process in that my concept of the latter adds value by directing and supporting common efforts in an organization. Analysis paralysis is the polar opposite of this; it represents unnecessary expense as real and opportunity costs are incurred for repetitive, redundant analysis continually applied to a problem (or its proposed solution) without adding any additional relevant data. This can be intentional (as is found in politics as committees are formed for 'further study' in order to shelve controversial issues) or unintentional (lack of confidence in one's ability to reach a decision).

Here's excellent reading on a related subject: Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

No comments: