Friday, August 22, 2014

Teaching entrepreneurship isn't impossible.

My son starts his junior year in high school Monday. His first class? “Entrepreneurship”. Given that he’ll have me, our clients, and associates as resources, I expect him to ace the class. Yet perhaps that is an unfortunate expectation, because I’m not sure entrepreneurism can be taught.  

I also taught a college course last year on Small Business Management. I conveyed useful information as required by the curriculum, and included important speakers, videos, and motivational information for added emphasis for important topics. The students seemed to benefit, I’m pretty sure I did a good job, and I’m pretty sure my son’s high school teacher will also. Still, some students in that class will never venture off on their own, some will fail and quit, and still others will succeed. One already has.

But what part of entrepreneurism can be taught, and of that, is it truly entrepreneurism? Or is it simply management? What are the building blocks of entrepreneurship versus the innate personality required to be knocked down seven times and still get up an eighth?

Can you be taught to have a comfort with risk?
No, but you can teach risk management, and offer advice on where others have faltered

Can you teach passion?
No, but you can promote sacrifice and self-reliance.

Can you teach leadership?
Absolutely, but it grows with experience.

Can you teach commitment?
No, but you can inspire and encourage.

The rest, perhaps, is tactics and processes. This is why mentors are so important to the entrepreneur. Mentors are as much about reviewing operational plans and go-to-market strategies as they are about being an example, and a source of inspiration and encouragement.

On the whole, I don’t think you can pluck anyone off the street and make them a confident entrepreneur, ‘Trading Places’ style. But those who have a natural inclination to go against the grain and rise above the noise can learn to be entrepreneurs, even if it can’t be taught

No comments: